Friday, June 29, 2007

Last to Leave

IMG_9131

On Father's Day, June 17, the four robins flew from their porch nest that we observed for two months. Three went at about the same time but the last one remained, unsure of itself, while being patiently coaxed by his parents in the next tree. He hovered on or near the nest and then was gone, too.

IMG_9168
THIS ROBIN'S NEST BELONGS TO MY FRIEND JUDY--HER DAUGHTER FOUND IT IN A SHRUB. IT IS UNUSUAL BECAUSE THE SAME NEST HAD BEEN BUILT UPON EACH YEAR--A ROBIN RECREATED THE SAME SPACE EACH TIME (something I have done this week in my own house/space)

I have enjoyed an unprecedented week of solitude--more or less--but from my immediate family. My boys and husband are on a Western trip, our daughter is in Mexico with a church group helping to build structures. It worked out--with a bit of my arranging--for everyone to be gone at once. Apart from the dog, Lucy, and two bunnies and my husband's aunt, who is more or less self-sufficient, I have been clanging around this big house glad for the space.

Apart from a booksigning, some press interviews about THE PANTRY, and some misc. office work, I have done nothing but read, think, relax, watch movies I've been meaning to watch (especially on hot days when I hid in the cool cellar), plan a bit, and go out with a few friends. I also had a great day in Boston taking a North End Market Tour (but more about that soon).

The days have passed more quickly than I thought they might: I have eaten when I am hungry, slept when I am tired, basically not answering to anyone and with few interruptions (even the phone has been quiet--however, never have I been so glad for cell phones: my daughter's own and my husband's learning how to use ours has kept everyone connected to the mother ship, and that is a reassuring feeling, as if everyone is just in the other room behind a door I can close or open at will). I've been careful not to plan too much or to expect too much of myself. No big "to do" lists--in fact, none.

IMG_9133

I'm feeling more productive again as my solo time wanes. Always best on a deadline, I'm probably far more effective when I have people to answer to (like my family) and who depend on me. But I needed this time--a retreat all its own. Worth any beach or luxury spa anywhere. And I'm looking forward to everyone's return to the nest: it needs a bit more clamor again and a little less emptiness.

No comments: