Thursday, March 6, 2008

Cupcakes R Us

This week I could not believe that among Henry's spelling words is "cupcake". The rest of the words are also composites of two different words. Again, we had fun (OK, well I had fun and then read it to him--next time I'll have him write one, too) putting the spelling list words into a story. They have a spelling test each Thursday and if they get 100% they don't have to retake it on Friday. [As a parent, and a writer, I am greatly relieved to see an emphasis on rote spelling again. "Whole Language" has created a generation of poor spellers.]

Here it is:

Some WORKMEN who recently built a SKYSCRAPER in the city were now renovating my BEDROOM. One hot AFTERNOON they wanted to play FOOTBALL and BASEBALL in our BACKYARD. My mother watched them from the DOORWAY, in a DAYDREAM about a wintry SNOWSTORM. A BUTTERFLY flew past her and then she heard the DOORBELL. It was our next door neighbor, Shirley, with chocolate CUPCAKEs for EVERYBODY. Mom rang the COWBELL and then we ate them all up--OUTDOORs!

For the above cupcake recipe (Ina Garten's Coconut Cupcakes from The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook), please see my Cupcakes for Bunco posting at our Cupcake Chronicle blog. You will note that I am cross-cupcaking this week as I'm not sure which blog posting is better suited for where!

No comments: