Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Food for A Week

I received an e-mail today that is truly one of the most fascinating "global" e-mails I have received (in more ways than one). I do not know the original source of this photo essay but FixingthePlanet.com has a more extensive listing of photos and countries (and information) than I received (but they are not the original source). If any reader knows the source (and photographer), please let me know and I will credit it here.

Each family is pictured by size of family, diet of that country, and availability and cost of what is eaten in one week. Here is but one of many examples. As both a foodie and a voyeur as to the question of "what's in your pantry?" I find this an intriguing study.


Italy: The Manzo family of Sicily
Food expenditure for one week: 214.36 Euros or $260.11

I wish I had time to post all of the photographs and captions but if you can, take the time to go to the link for a revealing look at what the world eats (and doesn't eat). It is interesting to compare food selection and diets between countries--whether it is by choice, custom, or availability. It is also not difficult to notice, by comparison, that "we are what we eat" or what we choose--or can afford--to eat.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Catherine, this is fascinating! Thank you for the link.

Great Britain never fails to amaze me--my husband worked for a British company for 14 years and only ate Indian food while he was there. No wonder! How is it your sister, Charlotte, has lived there for so long?

Susan

Teri H said...

If I remember correctly, one of the chapters in the book Material World is on what people eat... That book Material World and Women in the Material World are wonderful glimpses of life!

Blaine Staat said...

I have the book here if you would like to borrow it. The pictures come from a book called Hungry Planet: What The World Eats by Peter Menzel. It is one of my favorite books! I also have another one by him called Women in The Material World - another great one and very eye opening that is for sure! I want to get the other book Material World: A Family Global Portrait. Here is Peter Menzel's web site...

http://www.menzelphoto.com/

My understanding is that Peter and the other photographers taped several hours worth of video on their trips...now that is something I would love to see!

Here are some videos one with Peter Menzel speaking...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtwsPjoTX58

and this one shows the book...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osSpWbmEYF4&feature=related

xoxo Cat