Friday, April 24, 2009

Quote of the Day-Week-Year-Epoch



Out of clutter, find simplicity. From discord, find harmony. In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.
Albert Einstein

Ironically, this quote was on the bottom of an email from my publisher, Gibbs Smith, today. I have some exciting book-related news to announce very soon about The Pantry! In the meantime, if you are as lucky as we are to be enjoying 80 degree weather for a stretch, enjoy this beautiful balmy spring. And happy planting!

I found masses of small woodland violets, above, the tiniest I've ever seen, growing around the base of a tree on our lawn. Weeds or a glorious opportunity to enjoy something so simple and lovely?

2 comments:

Meredith said...

Our wild violets are thriving, too. I have sugared several dozen to save for my daughter's birthday petit fours in June. The rest we used fresh to decorate our Easter pound cake.

Catherine said...

What a great reminder/idea--thanks! I imagine I could keep them in an airtight tin or possibly even the freezer, once sugared?

I enjoy edible flowers--like stuffed nasturtium blossoms (with cream cheese and your favorite fresh herb and a bit of hot pepper jelly) or just tossed, as is, into a salad.

Happy Spring!

Catherine