Monday, October 4, 2010

The Things He Carries

One of the things I love about doing laundry is discovering what is in my sons' pockets. Unlike my husband, they tend to forget to empty their pockets before tossing their stuff in the laundry room (perhaps this is a learned behavior only when one does their own laundry?). Eli, in particular, is a pack rat (like his mother) and thinks nothing of cramming in his pocket a few pebbles (he is an avid rock collector) or recent fortunes from a Chinese restaurant dinner. He is also sentimental and I suppose that tweaks a few extra heart strings in me. Just as long as he doesn't become a hoarder, like his mother!

Little boys are so different than little girls. It's trite and stereotypical, but true enough.

Pebbles and pocket knives and keys to the tractor: that's what little farm boys are made of.

Our son is also an "old soul" who appreciates the the wisdom of his elders––on occasion!

3 comments:

Tess Kincaid said...

Beautiful post. I love saved Chinese fortunes. I'm a rock girl.

Marmee's Pantry said...

What sweet, sweet treasures.

If I'm at someone's home & we're sitting around chattering or what-not, if their Bible is on a table near me I like to flip through it & read what they have underlined, what they writing in the margins & in the blank pages. It tells so much of what's important to them...a real insight.

Blessings from Ohio...Kim<><

Dawn E. Brown said...

Oh I just loved this.It speaks volumes as to the person your son is...It reminds me of Proverbs 22:28,,,Remove not the ancient landmark, which thy father has set...He has learned well, knows what is important, and most likely will be blessed ...